I don’t have any Angel Cakes until the 23rd, it’s for a vet. I’m not sure what I’ll make yet, have to think about. I have to rest for a while anyway. I can’t make my nephew’s cake yet. His party is tomorrow, I’ll make something for him later… I have been in pain in my right leg for a while and couldn’t figure out why. I had an appt to see my MD yesterday, but ended up in the ER. They found out I have a blood clot. Wow is all I can say, no wonder I was hurting so bad. I didn’t have to stay in the hospital. The Dr gave me some new medicine that I have to inject 2x a day. It was very expensive, $1,500 before our insurance. We ended up paying $250, I’m so thankful for our insurance!!! I know a lot of people are suffering without it, and that makes me sad… 😦
Here’s a recipe for a cake I made for the fair a few years ago…
POPPY SEED TORTE
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
½ cup butter, (1 stick), softened
1-¼ cups honey***
1-cup sour cream
3 tblsp. poppy seeds
½ tsp. almond extract
½ cup apricot preserves: for filling
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1-cup sour cream
1/8 tsp. lemon extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan, set aside. In medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and honey together until smooth, add eggs one at a time beating until blended. At low-speed add the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream. Beat in the poppy seeds and the almond extract.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Level off top off cake to make a smooth surface, and cut cake into 2 layers. Place one layer on serving plate and spread with the ½ cup apricot preserves. Lay second layer on top. Spread with frosting.
- Beat frosting ingredients together until smooth and spread over cake.
I won first place for this cake in our local county fair. It was a baking with honey contest.
Note: Baking with honey can be tricky, anything bake with honey can burn quickly, so watch it!!!