This is a topic I have been wanting to talk about for a while. I first saw this idea about this a couple of years ago in a Paula Dean magazine. I thought what a great Christmas idea! I was going to make them and give them away when Christmas came around. Well some time passed and I forgot about it and did something else for my family at Christmas. I am so happy I did forget about making them! When I started taking the Food Safety classes with the University Of Idaho, they talked about how unsafe this practice is. I know a lot of people make these and give them away. There is even a place somewhere down south that makes and sells these. I saw them on an episode of Food Finds on Food Network some time ago. The problem with making these is that the core temperature doesn’t reach the proper stage it should be, and a lot of home cooks don’t have the right equipment or don’t have the right ingredients, additives ect.. that the license food manufactures have. We had a lady in my class say she got one of these cakes as a gift from a friend, she said she thought it was a great idea, and put in her pantry to eat later like her friend said to do. Well a couple of months went by and she took the jar out of the cupboard and saw this green stuff growing on the top, she threw the whole jar away! It turned out it was food poisoning growing in the jar, she did the safe thing by throwing the jar away!!!
Here are a couple of websites that back up what I have been talking about.
You can also clink on the link I have on the right hand side of this page from the National Center for Food Preservation for more Q and A, on this topic and many others.
This is also the time of year when a lot of Christmas Bazaars start, and I love going to a lot of them. I don’t always purchase a lot of thing’s I just love to visit them and see what people are making and selling. We went to a church bazaar last year and a lady was selling these cakes in a jar and wanted us to taste them. I politely said no thank you, and I should have said something to her about how unsafe it is, but I didn’t. There were to many people around and it was a small place, so I decided to say nothing. I hope and pray no one got sick from what she was selling! Should I have said something? Yes, I should have, but I’m not very good at confronting people face to face. There was also a place last year that had some unsafe canned jellies. The lid on top wasn’t sealed properly, I took it up front to the lady and politely said this jar isn’t sealed, she said oh yea it is it’s still fingertip tight! The lid was popping up and down in the center, and that is not safe. I didn’t argue with her, again there were a lot people there and I don’t like making a scene… I won’t be that way this year, even through that lady didn’t listen to me I am still going to speak up. You never know else will listen! This same topic came up on a recipe site that I belong to a couple of weeks ago and I responded with the same websites and information. I didn’t mean to hurt the person posting the recipe, I just didn’t want someone else making these and getting sick. It only takes one time to get food poisoning to die or have health problems for the rest of your life. My dad got giardia when I was a kid from drinking contaminated water and was deathly ill for several weeks. He still has problems once and awhile as a result. Here’s more information on this topic..
Ok enough doom and gloom for now, I’ll be working on my next topic. It will be about what you can safely put in jars and questions to ask at bazaars this Christmas season..
Until next time..